7 Springtime Tips for Your Plumbing, Electrical & Heating Systems
With the promised 7-day stretch of sunshine ahead of us, we can finally say that spring is here!
You can put that long, hard winter behind you now. But it sure did a number on many plumbing, electrical and heating systems.
We’ve put together 7 tips to help make your “spring cleaning” a little easier.
Spring Plumbing Tips
- Consider replacing a water heater that is more than 10 years old. Hint: the first 4 numbers of the serial number are the month and year it was made. Newer water heaters are much more energy efficient.
- Check exposed pipes under your sinks and in your basement for signs of leaks. Hint: Look for corroded or rusty valves/fittings and/or damaged cabinetry.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks. Hint: Add 6 drops of food coloring to your toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the toilet bowl within 30 minutes.
Spring Electrical Tips
- Check light fixtures to ensure that installed bulbs are the correct wattage. Caution: Using the wrong wattage can cause electrical shorts. Inspect the wiring & other components of your home’s electrical system. Tip: Flickering lights, frequently tripping circuit breaks or blowing fuses, or hot switch plates and outlet wall covers are signs that professional assistance is strongly recommended to avoid injury.
Spring Heating Tips
- Change your furnace filter. Why NOW?!: Changing the filter now, as part of your spring maintenance, will ensure you won’t forget to do it, so your house will be nice & toasty when the chill of winter returns.
- Take an accounting of what you spent on fuel. It may be more economical to upgrade your heating system. Tip: Check to see if your boiler has high idle losses.
If you’d rather spend more of your day enjoying the sunshine, than fretting over your plumbing, electrical or heating system, we are available for free system checks!
Mention that you saw this blog post to redeem the coupon below!