Garbage Disposal Do’s and Don’ts
A garbage disposal gets a ton of use this time of year with back-to-back holidays. A turkey dinner for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas both include delicious sides. Mashed butternut squash, buttery turnip, glazed carrots…the list goes on. And that’s just for the meal. Don’t forget the cakes, pies and cookies!
While these family dinners are full of tastiness and memories, they include some not-so-yummy leftovers. Rinds, peels, and egg shells, just to name a few. NONE of this type of food waste should find their way into your garbage disposal.
Your local Storrs CT plumber has some more tips to keep your disposal running smoothly throughout the holiday season.
How to protect your disposal investment
- Ice – To kill odor-causing bacteria, start by freezing vinegar into ice cubes. Run them through your disposal on a monthly basis. The ice will also keep the blades sharp.
- Baking soda – For more stubborn smells, pour baking soda down the drain. Let it sit for a few hours. After, run the COLD water and the disposal, for about 15 seconds.
- Cold water – BEFORE using the disposal, run the cold water. Keep it running for about 15 seconds AFTER to clear the drain line and get rid of any extra food waste.
- Drain service – Contact your local Storrs CT plumber to snake the kitchen drain line about every 2 years. A clean drain can protect your garbage disposal from burning out.
Avoid garbage disposal disasters
- Foods to avoid – Throw fibrous, fatty and greasy food waste into the garbage. Egg shells and coffee grinds should also be thrown away. Not only can these items burn out your disposal, they can clog up your drain.
- Chemical cleaners – Harsh chemicals are no good for your plumbing equipment, nor the environment. They can also harm you, or your local plumber, if the disposal needs to be serviced.
- Age – A high-quality, well-maintained garbage disposal has a typical lifespan of 7 years. Before you have a house full of holiday guests, take the time to check it out. If it’s nearing that age, give your Storrs CT plumber a call for a replacement.
Your local Storrs CT plumber
Rapid Service LLC offers full-service plumbing repair and installation in Storrs CT and its surrounding towns. What exactly does “full service” mean?
- It means that we don’t send a subcontractor to install a water heater, that you can’t get ahold later if there’s an issue.
- It means you don’t have to scour the internet for an emergency plumber.
- It means you don’t lose a day out of work when a plumber doesn’t show up.
- It means that your hard earned money is well invested with professional, expert repairs.
- It means you get to work with the same friendly faces each time you need to schedule service.
We’ll be there for you to get everything back up and running ASAP. Our office staff, NOT a voicemail, can be reached by calling 860-228-1036. Happy holidays!!
Bonus: You can watch additional tips on our YouTube video.