Prevent A Thanksgiving Plumbing Emergency
Thanksgiving is that glorious holiday in which we stuff ourselves silly. Perhaps we start with some crackers and cheese, then progress to Swedish meatballs while the turkey finishes up. We load our plates with the main event and all the fixin’s. Eventually, we get to dessert as we watch the game or relax on the couch before clean-up.
One thing that we shouldn’t stuff? The garbage disposal. In your Hebron CT home full of guests, you don’t really need to add a plumber, do you?
Be good to your garbage disposal
Potato peels, turkey bones and carrot peels should NOT be stuffed into your garbage disposal. They can clog up the disposal and cause your sink to back up. They can also burn out the disposal’s motor. Not only will you wind up with MORE of a mess in your kitchen, but an unexpected emergency plumbing bill as well. Instead, throw all food scraps in the trash. Even better, compost them or donate to a local farmer!
More tips to avoid a plumbing emergency
There are a few more ways you can prevent a plumbing emergency. You could also avoid embarrassing one of your guests!
- Clogged toilet – Keep a plunger in plain sight. Do NOT provide ‘flushable’ wipes – they do NOT break down, no matter what the packaging says.
- Water leak – If the water heater springs a leak, don’t let it spoil the party OR flood your basement. Locate the water shut-off valve and use it to prevent water damage.
- Clogged sink – Put away any decorations that might accidentally get knocked into the sink.
- Not enough hot water – Overnight guests staying with your family? Don’t run out of hot water. Try lowering the temperature on your water heater by 20 degrees. That will stretch out the supply of hot water so more can be done in the same amount of time.
- DIY – Don’t pick Thanksgiving as the time to try and do-it-yourself. It’s the busiest holiday for plumbers. We may not be able to get you out of a pickle as quickly as we would on a “normal” day.
Your local Hebron CT plumber
Rapid Service LLC offers 24/7 emergency plumbing repair to Hebron CT homeowners and the neighboring towns. A local, licensed plumber will quickly troubleshoot the problem and complete a professional repair. He will clean up the work area after, and let you get right back to your Thanksgiving festivities. Call 860-228-1036 and speak to a person who will get the ball rolling for you.