Pro Electrician Advice: Practice Pool Electrical Safety
Your local Columbia CT electrician wants you to stay safe while you’re having fun this summer. You may remember to slather on the sunscreen and chug plenty of water, but electrical safety isn’t usually on the top of your mind.
Electricity & water
Electricity and water don’t mix. That’s not news to anyone. However, the CPSC reports that there’s been 60 electrocutions and 50 serious electrical shocks involving electrical hazards in and around swimming pools since 1990.
Electrical hazards include pool lighting, radios, extension cords, outlets, and pool equipment such as the pump, filter, vacuum, etc. When you open your pool each season, you should inspect all of the electrical components for wear. When planning a party, take care to keep electrical devices away from the pool. A licensed, professional Columbia CT electrician can do a electrical safety check to further protect your family and friends.
Summer electrical safety tips
The Electrical Safety Foundation International is a great resource. Splash and karaoke to your heart’s content all summer long by following these tips:
- Cover all outdoor receptacles to keep them dry.
- Install GFCI outlets outside.
- Make sure ALL of your pool’s electrical equipment is grounded.
- Keep radios, cords, etc. at least 10 feet away from the pool. Better yet, use battery operated devices!
- Dry off completely before handling electronic device – this includes sweat!
- Don’t swim during a thunderstorm.
- To avoid electric shock drowning, have a Columbia CT electrician inspect and upgrade your pool in accordance with applicable local codes and the National Electrical Code® .
Your local Columbia CT electrician
Rapid Service LLC has been keeping families safe for almost a quarter of a century! We pride ourselves on our professionalism and service. When you call our office to schedule an electrical repair, you’ll be greeted by a member of our cheerful office staff. An experienced electrician will be dispatched to your home with a truck stocked and prepared to make the repair the same day. We know life happens after 5pm and offer 24/7 emergency electrical repairs as well. For more tips, and to get to know us better, please follow us on our social media pages: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+. Enjoy your time poolside and have a daiquiri for us! 🙂