Quick Plumbing Tip: Plungers

The first thing you reach for when the toilet is clogged or the sink is stopped up is a plunger, right? Are you using the right one? Did you know there are two different types of plungers?

Types of plungers

To clear a clogged sink, you need to use a CUP plunger to create a strong seal.

To clear a clogged toilet, you need to use a plunger that has a protruding FLANGE to create a successful seal.

This is what the two types of plungers look like:



Plungers are great to use to fix minor clogs. For more difficult clogs, you may need to use a plumber’s snake. If you still cannot clear a clogged toilet or backed up sink, you can call our office to schedule a service call. One of our plumbers can use a power snake to get things running smoothly again. If that doesn’t work, a camera drain inspection may be needed.

When to call a pro

Sometimes, a clogged sink or toilet is just a symptom of a larger issue, and the camera drain inspection will provide the answer. There could be a root ball in your drain or there may be an obstruction in the main drain line. A skilled plumbing professional will be able to quickly diagnose the issue and provide you with solutions.


A root ball that one of our plumbing technicians discovered in a Mansfield CT drain line


Our office can be reached 24/7 by calling 860-228-1036. We are located in Columbia CT and provide plumbing repair service to all Eastern CT towns. Some of these towns include Manchester, Hebron, Andover, Glastonbury, Lebanon and Willimantic. In addition to plumbing repair service, we offer electrical and heating repair service. Make the use of your service call! Make a list of all your concerns and ask the technician for solutions!