With the promised 7-day stretch of sunshine ahead of us, we can finally say that spring is here!
You can put that long, hard winter behind you now. But it sure did a number on many plumbing, electrical and heating systems.
We've put together 7 tips to help make your "spring cleaning" a little easier.Spring Plumbing Tips
- Consider replacing a water heater that is more than 10 years old. Hint: the first 4 numbers of the serial number are the month and year it was made. Newer water heaters are much more energy efficient.
- Check exposed pipes under your sinks and in your basement for signs of leaks. Hint: Look for corroded or rusty valves/fittings and/or damaged cabinetry.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks. Hint: Add 6 drops of food coloring to your toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the toilet bowl within 30 minutes.
- Check light fixtures to ensure that installed bulbs are the correct wattage. Caution: Using the wrong wattage can cause electrical shorts. Inspect the wiring & other components of your home's electrical system. Tip: Flickering lights, frequently tripping circuit breaks or blowing fuses, or hot switch plates and outlet wall covers are signs that professional assistance is strongly recommended to avoid injury.
- Change your furnace filter. Why NOW?!: Changing the filter now, as part of your spring maintenance, will ensure you won't forget to do it, so your house will be nice & toasty when the chill of winter returns.
- Take an accounting of what you spent on fuel. It may be more economical to upgrade your heating system. Tip: Check to see if your boiler has high idle losses.
Mention that you saw this blog post to redeem the coupon below!
Let us know you saw our website & save $30!